TI : Experimental study on the effect of radiation in the secondary palate formation
AU : You DS
AD : Department of Dental Radiology, College of Dentistry, Seoul National University
SO : JKAMFR. 1977;7(1):9-15
PY : 1977
LA : KOREAN
CP : KOREA
AB : The author observed the effect of X-ray irradiation on the secondary palate formation of the rat fetuses.
The mothers were exposed to X-radiation on the 10½th, 11½th, and 12½th day of gestation with respectively 150, 200, 250, 300, and 350 rads. The fetuses were removed from mothers on 15½th, 16½th, and 18½th day of gestation.
Morphological changes in palate formation were examined and histochemical preparations were made.
1. In control fetuses, the secondary palates were fully developed on the 15½th, to 18½th day of gestation. But in exp erimental fetuses, many cleft palates were observed in accordance with increase of X-radiation dose.
2. Frequency of incidence of horizontal position of both palatal shelves in cleft palate was highest.
3. According to the dislocation of palatal processes, the stain ability of palatal crest was varied.
4. The thickened area of palatal epithelium of palatal crest showed intense methyl green-pyronin and PAS reaction
5. Mesenchymal cell condensation was appeared under the thickened epithelium of palatal process and this mesenchymal tissue showed strong colloidal iron reaction.
6. The stain ability of alizarin red S and alkaline phosphatase reaction of tectal ridge were decreased in accordance with increase of irradiation doses.